rogueslayer452: (Faith Lehane.)
[personal profile] rogueslayer452
Asked by [personal profile] author_by_night: Do you have any unpopular opinions or hot takes about Buffy?

*cracks knuckles*


01. First and foremost, I don't think Willow and Xander were always the greatest friends to Buffy, to the point where I wished that Buffy had gotten other legitimate friends outside of them. Like, there were moments where she connected with others (Cordelia, Tara) but it never went passed a few conversations and scenes. Also, looking back, the Scooby gang felt a bit clique-ish at times especially later on. They hardly let anyone else into their little circle and, if they did, never quite tried to know them and basically they were all just extensions of other characters due to their romantic relationships with them instead of being their own person beyond that. Cordelia is the only character that got to shine and develop outside of them, and that was only because she went onto Angel that allowed her growth as a character.

02. Tara shouldn't have gotten back together with Willow. Her unfortunate and horrific death aside, especially since it was what fueled Willow to go on her Dark Willow rampage, it was clear that Tara and Willow weren't on the same page anymore particularly regarding magic, and how Willow disregarded Tara's autonomy and boundaries. Tara deserved her own arc and development outside of Willow, to exist beyond that relationship and become her own person, and it makes me bitter that she wasn't given that.

03. I've actually grown to appreciate aspects of season six, however it still is the hardest season to watch and therefore my least favorite to revisit aside from some episodes here and there.

04. Additionally, I don't hate season seven. I actually really liked the Potential Slayer storyline. I also don't hate Kennedy. I thought she was great, the only thing I disliked was her and Willow getting together which felt very inorganic. Bringing back The First Evil was a great final addition in terms of being the Final Big Bad of the show, I just wished they had integrated it much earlier, like interweaving its presence throughout the seasons so when it was brought back for the final season it would make better sense.

05. Truthfully, while I understand the narrative purpose of why they needed a reason and an explanation of how to bring Buffy back after her death, I dislike the way it was handled. I mean, I get that it was meant to be fucked up and traumatizing, making the revelation of Buffy actually being in Heaven even more devastating and her behavior and everything throughout the rest of the season make sense, but if the Scoobies really believed her soul was trapped in a demon dimension, you'd think they should've done more extensive research on the subject. If they had, they probably would've learned where Buffy actually was and left things alone. For the purpose of the show though, if they had to do the ritual to bring her back, Tara should've been the one to do it, not Willow.

06. Buffy/Angel are soulmates. Buffy/Faith are my OTP. Spike is better as a villain and without a soul (which lbr didn't change him one bit after he got it), and I much preferred the dynamic of Spike/Drusilla (esp in S2) but truthfully even Drusilla deserved better.

07. I remember having mixed feelings about the whole "Buffy gets kicked out of her own home" in the seventh season, and constantly went back and forth in how I felt about it over the years, but in the end I think it's pretty clear: that was perhaps the stupidest scene of the entire series. Not just for kicking Buffy out of her own house but for the tone of the conversation of other characters towards Buffy, like Anya claiming that Buffy thought she was superior than all of them because of her privilege of being a Slayer and how she was lucky, when the entire series has made it the point over and over again how unlucky and soul-crushingly lonely being the Slayer is. And ultimately, I hated that in the end it was just to make Spike, of all characters, uplift Buffy and tell her about her own self-worth when that should've never been the case to begin with. Overall, while I think conflict can be good for further development of the characters and plot, this was not how things should've been solved in terms of the differing opinions of how things were going with Buffy's leadership and the Potentials/Scoobies. There were plenty of other ways of going about it than kicking her out of the house and treating her like that, like come the fuck on.

(It makes me think about the S3 episode, "Dead Man's Party" of how everyone treated Buffy, the same shit and it makes me so mad).

08. Season one is extremely underrated. The monster-of-the-week episodes are silly and campy fun, and the season finale really sets the tone of what Buffy goes through for the rest of the show.


That's all I can think of at the moment, but believe me, I have plenty of thoughts and opinions (unpopular or not) regarding Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I adore the show, and over the years have gathered a lot of feelings about certain things.

Date: 2026-07-11 03:45 pm (UTC)
author_by_night: (pic#12553353)
From: [personal profile] author_by_night
(It makes me think about the S3 episode, "Dead Man's Party" of how everyone treated Buffy, the same shit and it makes me so mad).
.


THANK you. I understand being hurt, I understand they didn't know that Angelus had turned back into Angel, but based on what they knew, she still staked someone sharing a body with the person she loved (if we want to say that vampires with souls and without them are two different entities, which the show kind of flip-flopped on IIRC). Someone running away from home usually means they're not okay. They were actually more forgiving of her in the S2 premiere, IIRC, when she was really being quite terrible.

Honestly, even in season six... they go through all that trouble to bring her back from the dead (and I agree with you about doing research first, BTW), butI don't think they did much to help her after that. Giles hightails it out of there rightafter learning Buffy had been in Heaven, and while I know that was more Real Life Writes the Plot, it still didn't work for me.

I liked Buffy's growing friendship with Tara. I wish we'd seen more of that. Also, I know they were on two different shows and it just wouldn't have worked, I think Angel!Cordelia and later seasons!Buffy would've had a ton to talk about.

. Tara deserved her own arc and development outside of Willow, to exist beyond that relationship and become her own person, and it makes me bitter that she wasn't given that.

Good point. I didn't really mind them getting back together, but you're right that they were on different pages. Maybe even before Willow started misusing magic. I think Willow sees magic as technology, almost, whereas Tara sees it as something spiritual to be revered and respected.

Certainly after Willow basically mind raped Tara, that should have been it for them. Or they should have gotten together much later, except they needed them to reconcile quickly because they were about to kill Tara off. Yeah, Tara deserved better, period.

I had a thought to add to that, but I want to throw in a caveat that I actually haven't read or seen a whole lot of fantasy or sci fi. But from what I have read and seen, often mind wiping and magically altering people and places is treated nonchalantly, if to different degrees. Harry Potter in particularly is guilty of this, and even before I disavowed JKR, I actually had major problems with that. I feel like Torchwood skirts the line, where randomly wiping people's memory isn't okay per se, but it's not necessarily treated with the gravity it deserves, either. So I do like that Buffy tried addressing how messed up that was, but it's undercut when Tara decides to pretend it just never happened.

Also, I somehow missed that Willow had been using the memory charm on Tara THE ENTIRE TIME. I thought it was just after that one fight. But you know, even if it was, that would still be wrong. And to promise her she'd stop, only to do everything that called Tabula Rasa? It kind of takes me out of the episode, honestly. I love it, but also, holy shit, Will.

08. Season one is extremely underrated. The monster-of-the-week episodes are silly and campy fun, and the season finale really sets the tone of what Buffy goes through for the rest of the show.


Agreed. Some of the episodes really didn't age well, but yeah, it's fun. I think there's just a slight genre shift, so maybe if you really only want the grittier stuff, the first season and a half might be harder. (IIRC, even the first half of season two was pretty campy. Then Angel becomes Angelus.)

Speaking of, I also liked Angel the Series season one. Although I have to imagine Doyle reads like a Nice Guy now.

Oh, circling back -

For the purpose of the show though, if they had to do the ritual to bring her back, Tara should've been the one to do it, not Willow.

GOD. And imagine what a crisis of faith that would have been for our Tara. Actually, that plotline would've been really interesting. And maybe Willow doesn't overstep by mind raping Tara, but by trying to help both her and Buffy heal without fully understanding her place. Interesting.
Edited Date: 2026-07-11 03:51 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-07-12 12:01 pm (UTC)
rhoda_rants: Willow and Tara from "Buffy" lying on the roof, stargazing (willow and tara)
From: [personal profile] rhoda_rants
Also, looking back, the Scooby gang felt a bit clique-ish at times especially later on.

Oh, they're totally cliquey! Especially during the college years, when they're basically all in the same friend group, despite ostensibly being in a different environment. The only newcomers are Tara (♥) and Riley, and Buffy and Willow even get to be roommates.

Tara deserved her own arc and development outside of Willow, to exist beyond that relationship and become her own person, and it makes me bitter that she wasn't given that.

You're not wrong, although I'm wondering how they would've made that work, given Tara her own arc and development and still be part of the gang while being Willow's ex.

I had the same thoughts about Season Six when I rewatched it recently. There's a lot of interesting stuff happening in that season, although it is unquestionably the hardest to get through. (And the reason I still haven't gone past it, honestly.)

Date: 2026-07-14 01:30 am (UTC)
whisperwords: (Default)
From: [personal profile] whisperwords
I agree with a lot of what you’ve said here! And I think that the Buffy kicking-out scene also does a huge disservice to all the friendships in their cloth, actually. Because in that ONE scene, it is made very clear that all these people who supposedly are Buffy’s friends, who are supposed to know her better than anyone, don’t know her at all. No wonder she feels so alone afterward. No wonder she felt so alone when she came back from heaven. It all just sends this message that Buffy is surrounded entirely by people who use her and do not truly understand her. And I do NOT actually think that’s what the showrunners were going for.

Date: 2026-07-15 03:34 pm (UTC)
elizalavelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] elizalavelle
Tara was such a good friend to Buffy, I wish they'd had more scenes together.

I get shows have a bit of being stuck by the fact this is a job for the actors and if they have a 7 year contract they're there for the duration. It means we can't see the normal thing people do where friendships change and sometimes you outgrow your highschool friends.

I agree about Tara and Willow and also think it's a realistic thing. Sometimes breakups take a few tries before they stick.

YES Buffy being kicked out of her own home that she paid for was ridiculous. I hate that scene. I like your parallel to Dead Man's Party because it is the same vibe. Buffy's friends suck in these moments. She is carrying so much weight on her shoulders and they don't get it. I can forgive DMP more because everyone is in high school still. By the time they kick her out of her home they're adults and have had way more life experiences. It's ridiculous that they'd ask her to leave.

Date: 2026-07-16 04:05 pm (UTC)
elizalavelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] elizalavelle
An interesting thing to explore would have been what are all of the other people in Sunnydale doing. We know many are in denial but I have to imagine that others may not have been in the scooby gang but were doing their own kind of thing (like Gunn in LA) and having them encounter a slayer might have been a neat dynamic. I guess they tried that with the Initiative but that was not really well executed for the most part. It had good moments but as a transitional season it has rough moments too.

--

Tara deserved so much better. Someone else could have died or been hurt to set off Willow. Or Willow could have just set herself off, that was the path her character was on.

--

Also agree, Dawn being "it's my house too" was a moment of such teen audacity. Like maybe I get trying that out BUT every other adult should have shut that down immediately. She hasn't paid the bills, she's not managing the house. She can have an opion but not the deciding vote. Also yes her sister literally died to save her. Have some loyalty Dawn!

Being a slayer sucks and is lonely and I think part of awakening everyone as a finale is a message of hope that it won't be so lonely. Other people will exist who know what you're going through.

--

Profile

rogueslayer452: (Default)
rogueslayer452

July 2026

S M T W T F S
    1 2 34
56 789 1011
12 1314 151617 18
19202122 2324 25
2627 282930 31 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 4th, 2026 03:05 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios